Skip to main content

Learning to change

I was always the academic kid. You know, the one who wakes up every day actually looking forward to learning something. Or the one that always has some random trivia to share that was something they learned back in first grade. Or the one who consistently gets high marks on every test and brags about their "straight A+'s". The teacher's pet, the nerd, the smarty-pants; call them what you wish, but everyone knows who I'm talking about.

And the thing is, I didn't mind. School came easy to me, and I found joy in filling my mind with knowledge. The facts stayed stuck in my head and were perfectly accessible when I needed them. You could never separate me from a book, and as a result I was very proficient in spelling and writing. No one wanted to peer-edit with me, because while my paper would come back with a generic "great story," I would return my partner's covered in red marks pointing out every single grammatical error. And forget studying! That word wasn't even part of my vocabulary.

But as wake up times got earlier, lessons weren't as interactive, and tests became more numerous, my "golden child" streak had started to falter. Middle school was when it really started. Seven classes a day was a big transition, and I was not handling it as well as I should've. I could no longer cruise by, relying on my mighty brain to remember the facts. I was looking through my diary, and here's something I wrote from around that time, "You know how I said school was easy and boring? Not anymore! I have to study to keep getting A's." At last, school was catching up to me. This was also when I discovered the true meaning of the word "procrastinate". Every day revolved around the question, "How late can I get this done and still have decent quality work?"

It's not like I didn't care about my grades. I absolutely did. It's just that I still expected to be able to put in the same amount of work into middle school as I did preschool and get satisfactory results. I found out that to get a 4.0 GPA, you didn't even have to get an A plus. So why should I even try? I asked friends to use their app that calculates the absolute lowest you can get on the final and still have at least an A in the class. I was going for the bare minimum.

It didn't help that I had lost my desire to learn either. I tried to act interested, but I was usually tired and didn't see a point in learning. Trusted adults confirmed I would never use most of what I learned in real life anyway. And in some classes, I didn't have anyone I felt I could connect with. I was just living to get to the next day, and the next day, and the next.

This year, I had a kind of reawakening. The future looked bright. I'd heard so many amazing stories about the high school. I started the year optimistic and I was not disappointed at all. As the year progressed, I felt my passion for learning coming back.

So I did something radical. At the end of the year, I decided to study for my for finals a full week in advance. This may not seem like a big deal to you, but for me, it was like starting my summer work the day after school let out.

You know what happened? Those finals were the easiest ones I've taken. I received outstanding grades on all of them. This process of preparing and studying wasn't just an overnight decision. It was something I'd been working ever since I entered the high school. And this year I realized that I had to step it up, and even though it may be tough at the time, it's worth it. And not just for the grades, either. I can actually think when I have my work finished. Fulfilling my obligations makes me feel relaxed, and I am able to enjoy whatever I am doing in the moment.

And on that note, I think I'll go get started on my summer homework.


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Clothing Disparities Reveal Work to be Done in Fight for Gender Equality

Every day men are granted overwhelmingly greater benefits compared to their female counterparts. Their masculine privilege extends beyond advancement in the workforce and elections to public office. Women face a monumental injustice every day, one which government leaders and the remainder of society are unwilling to address. Women’s pockets are significantly smaller than men’s. Every day, women must struggle with inadequate pocket sizes. Getting our phones to fit inside these microscopic holes is a mental and physical trial. Even if by the power of a greater being, we do manage to fit an item inside, the pocket is often too shallow to safely contain it, and we are plagued with the fear of the phone falling out with even the slightest movement of our bodies. And forget about a wallet or keys. Chances are, if what you are trying to stow away is wider than your index finger, it will not fit. That is, if there are any pockets at all. Companies love to trick women with fake pockets.

I'm Tired of Being Tired

For the past three weeks, I've been tired. Not the ‘I got 4 hours of sleep’ tired, or the ‘I’m so stressed I’m about to cry’ tired. It’s more of the ‘I want to sleep all day, and when I wake up I’m still tired’ variety. And well, now that there’s not much else to do, sleeping is how I keep busy. I sleep. All day. I wake up incredibly tired, so I go right back to it. Yes, I have things I should be doing, but I just say, ‘tomorrow will be the day,’ and resume my slumber. I do nothing except play the piano an hour a day and maybe Animal Crossing if I’m feeling really ambitious. I might go for a twenty minute run before I give up and return to my bed. Then I read Dare to Lead by Brené Brown. It was for an assignment for college, and yes, something I had put off by napping. However, I became hooked as I read. I felt as if it were written just for me. Most importantly, the book helped me come to a realization. In the book, there is a part where Brené includes writing from one o

I Almost Didn't Publish This

Enigmatic. Who knew that a word that literally means mysterious would help me solve a mystery I didn't even know existed. March 14, 2019. The hour had arrived to present our imaginary presidential candidate to students and admin in hopes of them electing ours over the other group's. It was the culmination of a month long AP gov project. Our group had scraped together a backstory, political stance, and campaign for this man--an African-American-to-appeal-to-liberals, male-to-appeal-to-conservatives man--Winfield Burnes couldn't fail us now. Our presentation went smoothly, as our group was well rehearsed, until the questions. "How is your candidate different from your opponent's?" Unsurprisingly, our liberal-heavy class had run eerily similar candidates; it seemed as though the only difference between them was their gender and the color of their skin. The opposing group went first. "Our candidate is charismatic, hard working, intelligent, enigma