Skip to main content

Music to my ears

I live my life in constant song. Singing, playing instruments, dancing, just listening and taking it all in. Each song is filled with emotion and a message to the listener. It's amazing how people can connect over what they listen to.

My love for music began at an early age. My mom signed me up for classes when I was a toddler in which we sang songs and played instruments. At the age of six, I was ready to commit to my first official instrument. I wanted to play violin, but was convinced by my parents to play piano instead. I don't regret that choice, though when I reached sixth grade and got to choose an instrument for school, I picked the violin without hesitation. I still play both to this day.

But taking up instruments was only the beginning. As I got older, the music I listened to became a substantial part of my identity. When I turned ten, I got an iPod, but more importantly, I got Spotify. Now I could listen to anything. No more downloading songs onto an mp3 player from the CDs I had to beg my parents to buy. The whole world of music was laid out just for me.

Eventually, I was surrounded by music constantly. So much so that all of my memories started corresponding with the songs I was listening to at the time. My life became divided up into 'playlists': whenever I hear an Owl City song, I think of sixth grade; put on Hamilton and I remember the beginning of my freshman year. My life and my music intertwined into an inseparable entity.

It was during this time when I discovered just how important earbuds were to me. I carry them everywhere: to school, the bus, practice. When I use earbuds, people sometimes get angry if I don't hear them when they're trying to talk to me. The thing is, I don't want to hear them. The point of listening to music is to lose yourself in the lyrics, to explore the depth of the instruments and the harmonies, to become a part of it all. Earbuds are the bridge between the person and that experience.

And today I lost them.

When I woke up this morning, I couldn't remember where I left them last. I searched everywhere to no avail. My earbuds, my one connection to the songs inside my phone.

I'd forgotten what it was like without the constant rhythm in my ears. What it was like without the melody propelling me forward. What it was like to hear the silence.

I'd forgotten how peaceful it was.

Losing my earbuds made me realize that I don't need to be hooked up to iTunes 24/7 in order to make my life worth living. Of course, music is always going to be an important part of who I am, and I wouldn't want to change that. But occasionally it's good to take a break from all the noise and just be present in the moment you're in.

Sometimes silence can be the most beautiful song of them all.



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Clothing Disparities Reveal Work to be Done in Fight for Gender Equality

Every day men are granted overwhelmingly greater benefits compared to their female counterparts. Their masculine privilege extends beyond advancement in the workforce and elections to public office. Women face a monumental injustice every day, one which government leaders and the remainder of society are unwilling to address. Women’s pockets are significantly smaller than men’s. Every day, women must struggle with inadequate pocket sizes. Getting our phones to fit inside these microscopic holes is a mental and physical trial. Even if by the power of a greater being, we do manage to fit an item inside, the pocket is often too shallow to safely contain it, and we are plagued with the fear of the phone falling out with even the slightest movement of our bodies. And forget about a wallet or keys. Chances are, if what you are trying to stow away is wider than your index finger, it will not fit. That is, if there are any pockets at all. Companies love to trick women with fake pockets.

I'm Tired of Being Tired

For the past three weeks, I've been tired. Not the ‘I got 4 hours of sleep’ tired, or the ‘I’m so stressed I’m about to cry’ tired. It’s more of the ‘I want to sleep all day, and when I wake up I’m still tired’ variety. And well, now that there’s not much else to do, sleeping is how I keep busy. I sleep. All day. I wake up incredibly tired, so I go right back to it. Yes, I have things I should be doing, but I just say, ‘tomorrow will be the day,’ and resume my slumber. I do nothing except play the piano an hour a day and maybe Animal Crossing if I’m feeling really ambitious. I might go for a twenty minute run before I give up and return to my bed. Then I read Dare to Lead by Brené Brown. It was for an assignment for college, and yes, something I had put off by napping. However, I became hooked as I read. I felt as if it were written just for me. Most importantly, the book helped me come to a realization. In the book, there is a part where Brené includes writing from one o

I Almost Didn't Publish This

Enigmatic. Who knew that a word that literally means mysterious would help me solve a mystery I didn't even know existed. March 14, 2019. The hour had arrived to present our imaginary presidential candidate to students and admin in hopes of them electing ours over the other group's. It was the culmination of a month long AP gov project. Our group had scraped together a backstory, political stance, and campaign for this man--an African-American-to-appeal-to-liberals, male-to-appeal-to-conservatives man--Winfield Burnes couldn't fail us now. Our presentation went smoothly, as our group was well rehearsed, until the questions. "How is your candidate different from your opponent's?" Unsurprisingly, our liberal-heavy class had run eerily similar candidates; it seemed as though the only difference between them was their gender and the color of their skin. The opposing group went first. "Our candidate is charismatic, hard working, intelligent, enigma