Skip to main content

Removing Deferred Action for Childhood Arrivals has Consequences

When I was six, I moved.
Not to a new state. Not to a new city. Not to a new school. No, I simply moved houses. Although I knew I was supposed to feel lucky to be staying in the same community, the move was still terrifying.
Our new house was much bigger than our old one. Because of this, I got my own room, as opposed to sharing one with my sister. I loved it. But sometimes, at night, lying there alone in the darkness, I would be scared. Scared that someone would enter my bedroom door and take me away. I spun wild tales of who–or what–could be lurking in the dark, just waiting for a moment of weakness. I felt so far from my parents and thought the worst during those nights. And I admit it, sometimes those irrational fears creep back despite having lived in my new house for almost ten years.
Moving away from a place you have always called home is tough. Even a move as small as mine. But imagine if it was not small. Imagine if you were forced to move away from your own country, away from everything you have known. Those fears would expand into an all-consuming state of mind.
And this is what will happen to many if Trump continues with his plans to terminate the immigration policy known as Deferred Action for Childhood Arrivals. This policy allows undocumented immigrants who came into the United States as minors to be eligible to stay for a two year period and receive a work permit. According to Pew Research Center, this policy has benefited nearly 790,000 young unauthorized immigrants. Each of these 790,000 people (often called ‘dreamers’) was sixteen or younger when they came to the US, simply children.
So if Trump is going to get rid of DACA, what will happen to them? Congress is being given six months to find a solution to replace DACA. Six months, in the grand scheme of things, is not very long. And the dreamers who are unlucky enough to be discovered or have their plan expire during these six months are not able to apply for the two year window of deferred action. After all this time they have been living in our country, they will have to leave because there is no better plan in place.
Yes, they are here illegally, but see past that label and you find they are so much more than that. They are just as much a part of the community as any citizen is. They go to the same schools, live in the same neighborhoods, speak the same language as we do. We cannot separate ourselves from them; we coexist with them already.
Illegal immigration is an enormous issue. But we will not solve it by kicking out all of the children. Removing DACA will not magically make all the illegal immigrants disappear. The kids who need help and just want to be in a place where they feel safe; they are still here, and “winging it” in this situation isn’t going to cut it. 
It’s up to us to help the children who are helpless, watching their whole lives crumble in front of them. And it doesn’t have to be anything monumental at first. Posting on social media, signing petitions, these are small things that can be done to protest the removal of DACA. 
Moving by choice is difficult. But no one should have to leave their lifelong home for a dangerous foreign country. Donald Trump, by getting rid of DACA, is making sure that the dreamers’ dreams never come true.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Clothing Disparities Reveal Work to be Done in Fight for Gender Equality

Every day men are granted overwhelmingly greater benefits compared to their female counterparts. Their masculine privilege extends beyond advancement in the workforce and elections to public office. Women face a monumental injustice every day, one which government leaders and the remainder of society are unwilling to address. Women’s pockets are significantly smaller than men’s. Every day, women must struggle with inadequate pocket sizes. Getting our phones to fit inside these microscopic holes is a mental and physical trial. Even if by the power of a greater being, we do manage to fit an item inside, the pocket is often too shallow to safely contain it, and we are plagued with the fear of the phone falling out with even the slightest movement of our bodies. And forget about a wallet or keys. Chances are, if what you are trying to stow away is wider than your index finger, it will not fit. That is, if there are any pockets at all. Companies love to trick women with fake pockets.

I'm Tired of Being Tired

For the past three weeks, I've been tired. Not the ‘I got 4 hours of sleep’ tired, or the ‘I’m so stressed I’m about to cry’ tired. It’s more of the ‘I want to sleep all day, and when I wake up I’m still tired’ variety. And well, now that there’s not much else to do, sleeping is how I keep busy. I sleep. All day. I wake up incredibly tired, so I go right back to it. Yes, I have things I should be doing, but I just say, ‘tomorrow will be the day,’ and resume my slumber. I do nothing except play the piano an hour a day and maybe Animal Crossing if I’m feeling really ambitious. I might go for a twenty minute run before I give up and return to my bed. Then I read Dare to Lead by Brené Brown. It was for an assignment for college, and yes, something I had put off by napping. However, I became hooked as I read. I felt as if it were written just for me. Most importantly, the book helped me come to a realization. In the book, there is a part where Brené includes writing from one o

Learning to change

I was always the academic kid. You know, the one who wakes up every day actually looking forward to learning something. Or the one that always has some random trivia to share that was something they learned back in first grade. Or the one who consistently gets high marks on every test and brags about their "straight A+'s". The teacher's pet, the nerd, the smarty-pants; call them what you wish, but everyone knows who I'm talking about. And the thing is, I didn't mind. School came easy to me, and I found joy in filling my mind with knowledge. The facts stayed stuck in my head and were perfectly accessible when I needed them. You could never separate me from a book, and as a result I was very proficient in spelling and writing. No one wanted to peer-edit with me, because while my paper would come back with a generic "great story," I would return my partner's covered in red marks pointing out every single grammatical error. And forget studying! Tha