Skip to main content

Popular posts from this blog

I'm Tired of Being Tired

For the past three weeks, I've been tired. Not the ‘I got 4 hours of sleep’ tired, or the ‘I’m so stressed I’m about to cry’ tired. It’s more of the ‘I want to sleep all day, and when I wake up I’m still tired’ variety. And well, now that there’s not much else to do, sleeping is how I keep busy. I sleep. All day. I wake up incredibly tired, so I go right back to it. Yes, I have things I should be doing, but I just say, ‘tomorrow will be the day,’ and resume my slumber. I do nothing except play the piano an hour a day and maybe Animal Crossing if I’m feeling really ambitious. I might go for a twenty minute run before I give up and return to my bed. Then I read Dare to Lead by Brené Brown. It was for an assignment for college, and yes, something I had put off by napping. However, I became hooked as I read. I felt as if it were written just for me. Most importantly, the book helped me come to a realization. In the book, there is a part where Brené includes writing from one o...

Cursing Takes Away from Message

As a child, a very strict policy on bad words was enforced upon me. I was forbidden from saying words such as stupid, shut up, that sucks, crap. My parents would not tolerate such foul language in our household.  You can imagine my shock when I got to high school, hearing words much worse uttered casually in daily conversation. No repercussions were given to students who said them, and they did not seem to be bound by the rules I had grown up with.  Of course, one gets used to it. We hear profanity on a daily basis, on the bus, in the halls, during lunch. People curse a lot–but it is time for high schoolers to tone down these obscenities. I am not calling for a complete disownment of all curse words. If used correctly, they can alert people of your strong opinions on a subject and intense emotions. They can get people’s attention and draw them into what you are saying. But that is where the problem comes in–we are not using them the right way at all. People swear so m...

I Almost Didn't Publish This

Enigmatic. Who knew that a word that literally means mysterious would help me solve a mystery I didn't even know existed. March 14, 2019. The hour had arrived to present our imaginary presidential candidate to students and admin in hopes of them electing ours over the other group's. It was the culmination of a month long AP gov project. Our group had scraped together a backstory, political stance, and campaign for this man--an African-American-to-appeal-to-liberals, male-to-appeal-to-conservatives man--Winfield Burnes couldn't fail us now. Our presentation went smoothly, as our group was well rehearsed, until the questions. "How is your candidate different from your opponent's?" Unsurprisingly, our liberal-heavy class had run eerily similar candidates; it seemed as though the only difference between them was their gender and the color of their skin. The opposing group went first. "Our candidate is charismatic, hard working, intelligent, enigma...